1883 Church at Old Duhamel:
St. Thomas church is located at Ross Flats near the original Duhamel settlement, in Camrose County. Built in 1883, the log constructed walls have many stories to tell: of faith, education and connection in the community. The church is even linked to Louis Riel. (See more on Riel under the Cultural Heritage tab.)
To read more on the church itself, please click on the file to the left.
Local resident Stan Trautman, member of the Duhamel Historical society, and author of "A Citizen of Duhamel" recalls a pivotal moment of faith that took place at St. Thomas Duhamel Roman Catholic Church.Please click on the button above to hear one of Mr. Trautman's recollections of St. Thomas.
Pictured to the left, is Father Beillevaire sitting on the tressel stand constructed for the church bell sent from Ottawa for the frontier chapel. Archbishop Joseph Thomas Duhamel felt compelled to purchase, bless and send the bell across the county, to the work that bore his name. For years, the bell remained on it's tressel stand. It was used for both religious and community purposes, as an alert to danger, brush fires, or cause for celebration. Local resident, Stan Trautman recalls how the bell tower was added to the church while Father Beillevaire was on a pilgrimage to his home land of France. A heart felt and pain staking gift from his congregation for his return.
Click on the picture of the rock below, to hear more of Mr. Trautman's recollections, this one pertaining to the large rock sitting outside of the historic church.